Disclaimer: i am not an expert in anything. i don't have a degree in nutrition or biology. i'm not certified in anything. i'm just a regular mom who wanted to get in shape and this is just my honest experience.

Saturday, August 23, 2014

whats really wrong with me? i finally get an answer. and its not what i thought!

So I've been having health issues since May. Started out small and grew over time and got worse and worse. Started with serious fatigue. Like no matter how much i forced myself at workouts, i just wanted to sleep. It was more than low energy, it was no energy. I hit a wall. I was able to push through for a couple months. May and June I went hard. 6 workouts a week, lifting heavy weights, pushing myself. but definitely struggling.

The first time I noticed I had a problem I let it go. And it went away. But then it came back. I thought, my iron must be low! thats it. i've been slacking on my iron supplements. So i started to take them and that same day I felt better. So for two weeks i thought i had solved the problem!

Then it happened again. Now I'm stumped. I looked at my macros. I've been doing bad. not getting enough carbs (so i thought) and not getting enough calories (this was true). i thought the less cals the better. but i was hungry and cranky and tired. So i self diagnosed. this must be the problem. i went back to my old easy macros (more carbs, more cals) and i felt great! more energy! i thought i had fixed myself!!

but then it came back again.....this time it came back HARD. i said holy shit, this is serious. what the fuck is going on? this time i had severe fatigue, depression, anxiety, irregular periods, no weight loss and sometimes weight gain despite working out and dieting. it was clear to me this was hormonal. people had been telling me from the begining that it sounded like my thyroid. but for some reason i always thought there had to be a simpler answer. until i started to actually look into thyroid diseases. oh fuck.....alot of the stuff i had seemed to be on the checklist for hypothyroidism. the more i researched, the more convinced i was. this was it. on the one hand just knowing what this was made me feel more in control. on the other it stressed me the fuck out because its SO serious!! plus it looked like i could have Hashimotos which is even worse!!! ughhhh!!!

i went for weeks convinced this is what i had. i made it known. every self diagnosis was of course proclaimed to the world.

I finally went for a follow up on my bloodwork and they told me right off the bat, it wasn't my thryroid. my thyroid was fine. are you sure??!?! yup. they said all my numbers look great except for one. The A1 something? it shows i'm pre-diabetic. ok. i didn't panic, been there before, it was prolly the carbs, but no worries, i went to low carb 2 weeks ago. but i'm so dumb that i couldn't put it together. ok so...what was making me tired?? (duh) doc and i started to talk and i told her it all seemed hormonal. and she was like...hmm...you've already been diagnosed with PCOS right? yes. well it sounds like the carbs in your diet made the PCOS re-activate. what?!! that happens?? yup. i thought bc i lose 90lbs i didn't have to worry about PCOS. WRONG. then it all started to make sense. all of it. sweet smelling urine. hello. can you believe i put myself back into pre-diabetic mode just from putting carbs back into my diet?? my doc said low carb has to be the standard for me. because of the insulin resistance. and now i know. no matter what these fitness people tell me, i know that for me personally this is what i have to do. i didn't sweat it too much because low carb is my comfort zone. i did it for so long. plus i do love fats and i'm happy to forgo the carbs for more fats!! she also put me on a low dose metformin to help.

so i'm doing all the right things. i'm hoping that once my levels even out i will get back to my old self. i already see improvements. my mood is better. i don't have energy to work out alot, yet. i'm hoping that will come back. but i have seen definite changes physically. first off, i lost one lb, and an inch off my waist already. i'm even back in my pre-pregnancy underwear!!!!! woohooo!!!!!!!! i'm so happy that this didn't knock me off my path. just another test. i passed!

i'm so happy that i'm seeing some changes. it felt like my journey was on pause for months! i'm gonna assume since the doc told me this (i didn't self diagnose) that this is it. but the way this thing's been going, when i make a definitive statement it backfires on me. lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment